Kendu Adventist Hospital (KAH) was established in 1925. Karen Nielsen and Carentze Olsen from Skodsburg Sanitarium in Denmark served as the first nurses. Both nurses wholeheartedly served the hospital for 25+ years.
Since inception, the administration of the Hospital has been led the by the Medical Director. Dr. G. A. S Madgwick served as the first Director for a period of 15 years. There have since been 20 other directors including Dr. E. C. Kraft who held the position for 3 different terms. The management structure was revised in 2007 creating the position of Chief Executive Officer working with an Administrative team including Director of Medical Services, Director of Nursing Services, Hospital Chaplain, Business Manager, Director School of Medical Sciences, Ruby Kraft Principal and Project Coordinator.
School of Medical Sciences
In 1948 a training school for assistant nurses was opened. The training later developed into a full Nursing School training Enrolled Community Nurses recognized by the Kenyan government. With the continued progress, the institution, now known as Kendu Adventist School of Medical Sciences (KASMS) currently offers both Clinical Medicine and Nursing programs.
The School is also affiliated with the University of Eastern Africa Baraton which offers a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing among others. Graduates from KASMS have continued to offer distinguished services in the region and beyond.